If walking into your laundry room fills you with dread because of the lack of organization, then you will be happy to check out these six options for organizing your laundry room. Whether they all work for you or just a few, they can make a big difference.
- Make Sure You Are Using Every Inch of Space If your laundry room is a small space – and most laundry rooms are – then you will need to get creative about how to use the space. How this will work for you will depend on the specifics of your laundry room. You may need to organize your cabinets, you may need better hampers, or you may need to add shelves. Remember that hooks and racks can make use of your vertical space too.
- Take a Closer Look at Your Cleaning Supplies Many homeowners have shelves in their laundry room that are filled with nearly-empty bottles of detergent, cleaners, and other cleaning materials. Take a look and get rid of anything that you do not use or has expired. Anything you decide to keep should be stored in an organized manner.
- Install a Countertop If you have room in your basement, adding a countertop can be a huge help. You can likely find a fairly inexpensive butcher block or other sturdy material to use as a countertop. It can then be used to store cleaning products or baskets, or to sort laundry when folding it.
- Let Curtains Become Your Best Ally If you want to organize various parts of your laundry room, curtains are about to become your new best friend. Choose neutral-colored curtains behind which you can hide your washer and dryer. If you choose a single color for all the space, it will look more streamlined and together.
- Use a Hanging Rod If you do not already use a hanging rod in your laundry room, now is the time to install one. You can run it across a doorway, a small corner of the room, or anywhere else that makes sense. This is where you will hang clothing that cannot be dried, swimming suits, etc.
- Create a System for Lost and Found Items Depending on how many people live in your home, and how often you travel and/or have guests over, it may be that you end up with random bits of clothing that is not yours. It may be that you have single socks that cannot find their mate. Have a section of your laundry room for unclaimed items.
Of course, you cannot have a truly organized laundry room unless you can first get a washer and dryer that work well. If your units have seen better days and are in need of repair, contact American Appliance Repair at 800-640-9934 and we can get to them right away.